While I was still thinking whether or not I must begin using deionized water, I had a lot of factors to consider. I was told to assess the advantages and disadvantages and see for myself what benefits it can do to me.
Deionized water is a variety of pure water that has removed contaminants from water through getting rid of mineral ions from the water. The process, however, is not able to remove viruses and bacteria from water. This type of water, owing to the character of its decontamination, has its own set of advantages and limitations.
While the minerals have been removed and it might still have some impurities left, this kind of water is not so ideal. Second, it is very corrosive to metal. This connotes that it could readily soften pipes made of metal. When water loses its dissolved solids, it has the inclination to search for balance and acquire a pH of 7.0. Yellow metals, like copper and brass, mild steel and galvanized pipe are especially susceptible to this type of water with such pH. That is why, PVC glass for water way piping is ideal for this kind of water. However, it does not really affect the kinds of metals being used in machineries because the 7.0 pH is not enough to make machinery metals to corrode.
Still, I did not get upset even if deionized water was not so suited for consumption. It is for the reason that it has a lot of benefits when being used in certain industries and at home.
1. It lets me save on soap for clothes and dish washing. Once it is being used with a softener, deionized water can be relatively helpful in washing clothes and dishes by using reduced quantity of soap.
2. It is rather ideal in testing industrial pollutants or soil makeup. Because it has no contaminants, the tendency of committing incorrect reading is drastically lessened.
3. It is very perfect for window washing companies. Ordinary tap water leaves deposits because of impurities. And, these deposits affect the glass to have stains that are very difficult to eliminate regardless of how much rinsing is being done. With deionized water, because it has no contaminants, windows always appear dazzling clean after washing. This is likewise applicable for cleaning optical lenses surfaces.
4. It is perfect for manufacturing processes that need the use of water that does not readily react with chemicals. It can be utilized for the cooling system in computers because it hinders growth of bacteria being caused by accumulation of residue.
5. It is also perfect as an ingredient in makeup. Because it is considered to be devoid of impurities, making use of it would ensure that harmful reactions are avoided.